What to expect after surgery
You will be a member of your pet’s health care team. Your part at home is not difficult – it just takes compliance and diligence following the instructions provided.
- Most THR patients are awake from anesthesia in about 30 minutes.
- You will receive a call from the surgeon or a staff member after surgery.
- Your primary care veterinarian will be kept informed.
- Your companion will receive pain medication to be kept comfortable.
- Patient care is constant after surgery including through the night.
- About half of the THR patients are able to go home the day after surgery.
- Dogs will walk to the car using the new hip with some assistance.
- You will have the written home care instructions explained at the time of release.
- Medications directions will be reviewed.
- A staff member will assist your animal to the car to go home.
- Stitches are removed 10-14 days after surgery.
- Radiographic evaluation is done 5-6 weeks after surgery.
- Annual communication and evaluation should be completed by the surgeon or your veterinarian.
Sadie walking with her assist device (sling) on the morning after surgery.